Saturday, January 30, 2010

1-29-2010

Went to work this AM and late in the morning got a call from some friends asking if I would take them out on the local flow for a few hours. I would rather do that the work any day. We popped over to the river and it was gin clear. Water temp was 43 so it seemed logical to fish a dry. My friends readied their sink tips on and led the way. We fished carefully through a couple of nice pools that have AWESOME structure. By the time we finished I just could not believe we didn't pull a Steelhead out. One more pool. Walked 30 minutes into a place which is a mile long bar but really 4 breaks. I have always done well here in the transitional areas between the breaks. Here you need a cast of about 70' downstream at 45-50 degrees and right up against the bank. The little fiery brown caddis was waking it's heart out saying EAT ME. In the second transition right where I would expect there was a nose and a blink and fish on. After a few minutes I was hiding 24" of pure silver. She was a beautiful chrome fish with almost no hint of pink on her sides. The odd thing is I could not place her. I know these fish and I know the different runs in this flow and this fish just did not fit. Could be a stray, could be a different spawning trin from which I have not seen a fish before. Oh well, she was AWESOME

No comments:

Post a Comment