Monday, April 12, 2010

4-10-2010

Got up early, a beautiful sunrise was the reward, and took the hour long walk into the great pool. Dead calm, water 45 degrees and crystal clear. Started swing the Black Magic again. Here you cast 40 degrees down, tight to the far bank. The fly would slowly swing out from under the trees and make it's way across. The speed of the current here is so nice, the fly just creeps across and is hard to resist. All of a sudden, as the fly comes out from under the trees, a nose. Nothing else, nothing violent, no slashing grab, just a nose. My heart is pounding and I am feeling really cool. It is hard to wait but I know there Winter fish sometimes take a bit more time than their Summer brethren so I let the fly dangle for 5 minutes. HAH, maybe 1.5 minutes. On the next cast in the same spot a perfect head and tail rise, a sip, and fish on! This one took me way down the pool, good sport on the 7 weight single hander. In hand this was again 8-9#, wild, and a buck. A lovely fish. Also this one did not stick around long but was back to the river in a flash. To my knowledge these are the first two Winter runs on this flow taken on dries. I will keep fishing them here for sure.

1 comment:

  1. lets open the f stop up(see where your at) or give us the coordinate's

    ReplyDelete